Thursday, April 22, 2010

Daily Devotion #3

This SUNDAY is CHANGE THE WORLD SUNDAY.

The youth are preparing two mission trips (SSP).


SCRIPTURE: John 15: 1 & 2

1"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2 He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful.


NOTE:

The vine is one of the ancient images in Judaism.

The Cross is one of the “ancient” images in Christianity.

The Eagle is one of the “ancient” images in Americanism.


QUESTION: What image is there in your life?


Interesting enough, the vine/vineyard image was used in the Old Testament as more of a reference when the People of God were not fruitful.


NOTE

This is the last “I am” statements of Jesus.

Notice that the vine is not the People of God in this case, but Jesus.


The following verses remind us that we cannot bear fruit unless connected to THE VINE.


SCRIPTURE: John 15:4

Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.


QUESTION TO PONDER

How connected are we to God and to each other

No comments:

Post a Comment